Library rules and regulations
- All the personal belongings such as text books, notebooks, files, briefcases, umbrellas etc. should be kept at the property counter. However calculator and plain paper for note taking can be brought inside the library.
- The library is kept open on all working days from 9.00 AM to 9 PM. On Saturdays and during vacations the working hours will be from 10 AM to 5 PM.
- Strict silence should be observed within the library. The member must show his/her identity card when demanded by the library staff.
- Writing or underlining in the books, periodicals, maps etc. is not allowed.
- The person in whose name a book/periodical is issued will be held responsible for the care of the same. He will have to bear the compensation for any damage or loss.
- Number of books allowed to various members:
- Students : 5 books
- Teachers : 10 books
- Non teaching staff : 6 books
- The period of loan will be 14 days including the day of issue for students. For teaching and non teaching staffs books are issued for a period of six months.
- A book can be renewed for further one term, if the book is not being reserved by any one. Thus a student can keep a book for a maximum of one month and a staff
can keep for a maximum period of one year.
- If a member wishes to keep the book after one renewal he/she has to present the book in the library and get it reissued (if available), after keeping the book in the Stackroom for one week .
- A fine of Re.1 per day per volume will be levied from all the library members including teaching and non teaching staffs, if a book is kept beyond the due date stamped.
If a student is absent on medical grounds the payment of fine will be waived if recommended by the concerned Head of the Department. No further issue of books will be made till all the dues are cleared.
- A book, which is temporarily on special demand, may be lent for a shorter period than the prescribed period. The librarian may at any time terminate loan / reduce the
loan period as the time demands.
- Reference Books are not issued on loan.
- Members are not allowed to sub-lend the books borrowed from the library.
- No book shall be issued which is not in good condition for safe handling. Condition of books will be decided by the Librarian.
- Periodicals are regarded as reference books and are not issued normally.
- New books received will be displayed for a fortnight on a separate shelf. These are available for issue at the end of the fortnight.
- In case of loss of borrower s tickets, the matter must be reported to the librarian. A duplicate ticket may be issued against the payment of Rs.10/- per tickets (also applicable to SC/ST borrowers’ tickets). Tickets will have to be returned to the Librarian at the time of leaving the college. If a member fails to return the borrowers
tickets at the time of leaving a fine of Rs. 10/- per ticket will be levied.
- If a book / books borrowed from the Library is / are lost, the matter must be reported to the Librarian immediately. The member has to replace the same or later edition
of the same book lost/ damaged within a week s time. If the replacement is not possible the following will be the procedure to recover the cost of the lost/damaged.
- For a foreign book : the cost of the book converted as per the current conversion rate of the foreign currency plus 300% of the cost.
- For an Indian book : Printed price of the book plus 300% of the price.
- Periodicals : subscription price of the concerned journal/magazine for an year.
- A student leaving the college before or after completing the course has to produce a Non liability certificate from the Librarian for getting any certificate from the college.
- Staff members also have to obtain Non -liability certificate from the Librarian for relieving from the college, either on retirement, or on long leave.
- Members have to pay Rs. 50 for getting their college Identity cards. In case a ticket is lost, the matter must be reported to the librarian. A duplicate ticket may be issued against the payment of a fine of Rs.100/-.
- A user having membership in the SC/ST Book Bank has to pay an amount of Rs.25, if his/her SC/ST Identity card is lost.
TKM College of Engineering, Kollam-5
Tel: 0474 2713933, Email: